Thursday, February 19, 2009

NY Fashion Week...Zero + Maria Cornejo























In 2006 a dear friend of mine, who was working as an assistant stylist, told me over cocktails (or cigarettes and cupcakes, I can't remember) that he had been in Nolita and worked with this amazing designer, Maria Cornejo. He showed me some images and certainly got my attention. Although her career far precedes '06, and probably most of my lifetime, she was new to me and her approach to women's fashion so different than anyone I'd seen. Her designs are fluid, unadorned and, at first glance, seemingly rudimentary. However, the complexities start to reveal themselves as layers fall together like puzzle pieces and a simple sheath is simotaniously geometric and languid on a women's body.
(photo via style.com)

No comments: